Saturday, December 11, 2010

perspective...


    Welcome to the second installment of today's blank page!  I thought I'd share something I'm pretty passionate about...my daily life at work as a street outreach worker for Evergreen House in Bemidji.  For four and a half years, I have served homeless, couch hopping, or any other youth (21 and under) who has come through my doors looking for help.  No two circumstances are the same that brought them in, but an unexpected pregnancy, out of control addictions (theirs or their parents'), undiagnosed mental illness, or abuse are all common pieces to the story.  As an outreach worker, I listen to them, build a trusting relationship, provide what tangible solutions I can to their issues at hand (ie. food, diapers, hygiene stuff, etc.), and advocate for them as best I can.  My work is totally free, completely confidential, and allows youth to come and go as they want...making it a relationship on their terms.
 
    For over a year, I have run a Drop In Center, so youth could have a place to hang out during the day.  Many homeless young people can't be at the houses where they slept the night before, so they are left to wander (out of the public eye) or hang out at places where drugs, alcohol, and sex pay for their time there.  In the past year, we have served almost 500 youth through Street Outreach alone!  Some come in for diapers or food and quickly leave.  Others stay, having no place to go, and play ping pong or Xbox with me and eventually share a small part of their world with me.

    I am forever honored and humbled by their stories...by the smelly hugs that I have been given...the many smiles that I have seen when I told them I was proud of them...by the hundreds of newborn babies I have held...through the heartache and loss (I replay the last time I saw each and every one of those who have passed)... and the countless tear-inducing, belly laugh moments I have shared...  These are not clients of mine, just as they aren't projects to be fixed, "those people" who only need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps to succeed, or lost causes who must crawl on hands and knees to receive a little support.  I see everyone who comes to me as extended family and friends...worthy of  my time, love, and respect...

    Often, I walk away from "helping" someone, only to realize that I am the one who was helped.  I have also seen (and been shown) love in the simplest and most moving of ways...it is in these moments and through these life lessons that I am able to find the will to fight through the tough times.

    One thing that will never cease to amaze (frustrate) me, is what well-meaning people donate to those in need.  I have to believe that their mantra while boxing up half-used deodorant, toothpaste, and chapstick is, "If you are homeless, ANYTHING is better than nothing," which couldn't be further from the truth.  Just the other day, I went through an entire box of old cosmetics (the homeless need hair curlers, used pedicure sets, and half a bottle of tanning lotion, right?), threw away a garbage bag of old winter hats that had to have been used to insulate a dog house, and happily hung up the nice winter jacket that had been given...only to find that the zipper was busted on it.  I truly believe that some people are so disillusioned, that they feel good about giving away their crap to the "less fortunate" (there is a special place in my heart for those that do this and then expect a tax right off as a result of their good deed). 

    That said, for each one of these do-gooders who share their "under the sink collection - 1995", there are true gems that more than make up for them.  I am blessed to know the ladies quilting group from a rural church who make blankets and donate them every year, the local store owner who dropped off a brand new chest freezer one day, and the dear friend who makes sure that I am always supplied with enough condoms for those who ask for them.  I love each and every person (misguided as some are), who take a moment to think outside of their little world and consider others.  I challenge each of you to consider it, even if for just a minute or two each day.  The perspective is priceless.

    My wife is braving the cold in town, while I attempt to herd cats...err...children AND write.  As always, thanks for your time and the kind words...Peace and love.





   
   

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing.
    Mathew 25:31-46(hey your name is mathew, maybe that is divine providence?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this gift of heart you give each time you blog. It will help many understand life from a different perspective... Truly Bemidji is lucky to have you there.

    There is a lady who is homeless that I know in Bemidji. She has an awesome down coat which she prizes and will not let go or lose. One day at SOS shelter, one of the ladies who came to bring food, told me she was so happy that she still had the coat. She had given it to her a year or two ago. It was priceless for the warmth it radiated..... Those are precious good people. Like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your heart for other people, Matt. It is something that I need more of. I am just as guilty as anyone for giving my leftovers in life. You are definitely a man after God's own heart. Thanks for you testimony of selflessness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that passage, thanks Spencer


    Chris, that is a great story! Love it...


    You are far too kind Mrs. Reed

    ReplyDelete