Monday, December 13, 2010

lessons from the coop vol. 1


    One of the great joys of home ownership is that we have the privilege to raise animals on our property.  This Fall, we were fortunate enough to be given five young chickens by a friend and they have quickly become a part of the Hanson Family.  In addition to all the reading I have done on raising chickens and building a chicken coop from materials that I had salvaged, my favorite aspect has been the things I have learned about me from my time with them.  Similar to my experiences with my children, it's amazing how I can get so much insight by observing farm animals!

    The coop I made is from a portable fish house frame that I constructed permanent sidewalls, a roof, and an attached fenced in run for the chickens.  One of the necessities (as witnessed by today's -28 degree morning) was insulating, because there was no way I was going to run a lightbulb all the way out there for them and the last thing I wanted to find was 5 frozen chickensicles some randomly cold morning.  One thing about chickens, is that they peck everything that looks a little different from the norm.  This is an excellent strategy for when they come across a bug, a piece of food, or some scratch, but a shiny candy wrapper or piece of yellow insulation will help them in no way - and might even be fatal to them.  Knowing this, I totally "peck-proofed" my coop by covering all of the insulation within reach...or so I thought I did anyway.

    One day, I came out to see that they had found a way to stand on top of their sloped-roof on their nesting box and had begun to peck all of the exposed insulation within reach!  The next day, the piece was destroyed and I was ticked!  Here I had built them an awesome house, had insulated it so they wouldn't be cold, fed them good food and clean water every day, and THIS is how they repaid me?!!?  But how could I blame them, my simple-minded, barnyard friends could not help themselves if they tried.  Even though they knew after the first peck that the insulation brought them no benefit, they were wired to be this way. 
See. Peck. Repeat.

    While I was thinking about my pea-brained demolition crew, I had a sense of how much like them we are...as a society, as people, and even as spiritual beings.  In American culture, we chase the "shiny", publicized things...a new politician, health plan, or maybe even war...these are all mindsets that we are led to believe will surpass and are better than the rest.  As individuals, we chase Black Friday sales and let TV tell us what new and different objects of affection we must have...we are willing to bypass food, shelter, and our fellow chicken...err...man to get them if need be.  Whether it's a new cell phone or Lady Gaga, we believe that the flashy, different "thing" is somehow a need and a birthright meant for our happiness, and we are no longer satisfied or intrigued by the norm.  Just because it has a responsive touchscreen or wears a dress made out of meat, doesn't mean that the content or quality is any better.  :)  Spiritually, I believe that my Creator has spelled out for me what a good life is all about.  He has given me direction through word and deed and has provided for me in every avenue, yet I chase meaningless things and get caught up and distracted by everything imaginable.  I am not a chicken.  I have an (over)imaginative brain, a heart, and a soul.  I need to live that way.  

    There's no tidy wrap up to my thought process today...just a few thoughts...I'm definitely still working this one through...thanks for reading...peace and love brothers and sisters.










   



 

1 comment:

  1. Matt has a blog!?!! What a perfect fit! I saw you posted something about chickens and just had to check it out. Nicely done. Nicely done, my friend. Can't wait to see if anything can be learned from their poo.......

    ReplyDelete